<< back to key collections page
<< back to this object's collection page
The fibreglass recasting of ‘From Nature’ has been a fixture of the Jules Thorn Museum at Surgeons’ Hall Museums since late 1980’s. The cast was funded by the National Fund for Acquisitions and the National Museums of Scotland in 1986. The original cast was made by Sir John Goodsir, a former Conservator of Surgeons’ Hall Museum in 1841, and Professor of Anatomy at Edinburgh University in 1846 & 1867. Goodsir was a dissector of exceptional skill who produced many excellent teaching specimens. He published widely on subjects such as human teeth and studies of diseased tissues. Through his teaching, educational innovation, writing and anatomical dissections, Goodsir made notable contributions to medical science and his brilliance was recognised by both James Syme and Rudolf Virchow.